22 February 2011

Oh, Ok then ... I don't want to leave a blog in limbo

DISTINCTIVE

There's something a bit perverse about having started a thing with a life of its own, and then making a snap decision to abandon it. So having said I was off to WordPress in a way that sounded like "I may be some time...." I feel as though I'm creating a lost orphan leaving this one behind to fend for itself. Maybe I can blog in two places... until I get the hang of the "301 Redirect" I was told about by a sage blogger at WordCamp. I Googled it, and stopped at the geekspeak. So I'll also be here. Someone next to me at WordCamp said they had about a hundred blogs :\ Surely I can do two.

I returned here to re-read posts, because I was having a telephone conversation with a media academic in Leipzig and he said he's been reading my blog. I'm thinking today about the 'media studies' space now swirling with events such as the toppling of tyrants and debate about the role of social media in what has been dubbed Revolution 2.0 (a term attributed to Wael Ghoneim), the numerous intersections between crumbling traditional media institutions, the significance of reputation and the management of it, the Public Sphere, accountability, citizen engagement and ownership of framing... I'm thinking about the vital role of social media in thickening the layers and webs of global interconnections. And the distinctive International Communication space that brings all of these, and more, together.