15 September 2008

Cloud computing

…is my phrase du jour. I can relate readily to the idea that “cloud" services …offload computing or data storage functions to someone else's server, allowing e-mail, photos, or documents to be accessed anywhere….”

In using delicious.com for my bookmarks, web-based e-mail, blogging and a clutch of social networking sites, I am being liberated from the constraints of hardware. Cool. I look forward to being in Denmark soon, able – I hope – to access my customised universe from wherever I happen to be. A student remarked as we discussed this briefly that it’s an aspect of being / becoming a global citizen… Yes but the downside is that in volunteering all this data relating to my interests and behaviours I am contributing to the great and unsubtle commercial processes that read my identity and target me with ever-greater and more alarming precision.